Extrusion – Sheet & Cast Film – Shutdown/Startup: Suggested Purging Procedures
The following are suggested purging procedures for extrusion – sheet and cast film as it applies to shutdown and startup.
- Maintain temperature and RPM settings for resident resin.
- Disconnect or shut-off auxiliary feeding and downstream equipment and thoroughly clean material feed system, ensuring all components including blenders, hoppers, loaders, filters, magnets, hoses, and drain ports are cleaned.
- Begin to empty barrel and, when resident resin is below the feed throat, introduce Dyna-Purge (1 to 2 times barrel capacity) into empty hopper or side port. Note: actual amount needed depends on machine conditions.
- Ensure screen pack and die gap clearance is at least 0.025 inch (0.65mm). Note: if unable to ensure clearances, refer to Dyna-Purge F2, E2, A or C in the “Product Selection Guide.”
- Begin to purge. Short bursts of high agitation (RPMs) will loosen build-up. Subsequently slowing the speed or stopping the screw allows the purge to expand and then push out the loosened contamination. Continue to alternate this process until the purge is clean.
- Ensure barrel is filled with Dyna-Purge to prevent the chance of oxidation. Stop screw rotation and reduce the temperature by lowering or turning off the heat zones of the machine. Caution: as the purge solidifies, take care not to rotate screw.
- Turn on and/or raise the temperature to 50°F (10°C) above the minimum operating temperature of Dyna-Purge. (Refer to Product Information Sheet for operating temperature). Note: Review start-up protocol on machinery for additional information.
- When the desired temperature of Dyna-Purge has been reached, begin rotating the screw slowly to avoid too much torque. The purge may still be stiff, so do not rotate the screw at full RPM.
- If the purge compound exiting the machine shows signs of contamination, introduce more Dyna-Purge until the compound flushed out is clean.
- Thoroughly clean the hopper and adjust temperature settings for your next production resin.
- Using your next production resin, flush out the remaining Dyna-Purge.
- Thoroughly clean the die surface to remove any contamination and, if applicable, install new screen pack and make die gap adjustments.
- Reconnect auxiliary feeding and downstream equipment.
- Start production run.
Before performing any procedure, it is the machine operator’s responsibility to be aware of their company’s safety policy, to wear the appropriate personal protective equipment, and to make sure that only authorized personnel are in the area.
Important! The information presented herein, while not guaranteed, was prepared by competent technical personnel and is true to the best of our knowledge. NO WARRANTY OR GUARANTY, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, IS MADE REGARDING PERFORMANCE, SUITABILITY OR OTHERWISE. This information is not intended to be all-inclusive as to the manner and conditions of use, handling or storage. Other factors may involve other or additional safety or performance considerations. While our technical personnel can respond to questions regarding safe handling and use procedures, safe handling and use remains the responsibility of the customer. No suggestions for use are intended as, and nothing herein shall be construed as, a recommendation to infringe any existing patents or to violate any Federal, State or local laws.
Visit Us at NPE2021
Orlando, Florida USA
May 17-21, Booth #W932
Protective Purge Guard
Purge Smart™ with Lava-Shield
Protective Purge Guard
Choose any product and have it