High Temperature Safety
If you are running high temperature engineering resins, to enhance purging and promote safety, try the following tips:
- Run Dyna-Purge at the lower end of the temperature range for the processing resin.
- Introduce Dyna-Purge and purge with the screw in the forward position.
- When purge is exiting the machine, the following will help to reduce fumes and the potential for auto ignition:
– Purge piles should be collected as small, flat, thin shapes or thin strands to allow for rapid cooling.
– Purge into cold water.
– Make sure the melt temperature does not exceed 715°F (379° C); if necessary, reduce screw speed.
- Keep the barrel full to minimize degradation.
- If shutting down, decrease temperatures as quickly as possible. If temperatures are still above 600°F (316°C) after 15 minutes, displace the Dyna-Purge with another barrelful as temperatures continue to come down. Repeat if necessary.